Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wanjohi: Agriculture worker in Kenya

My name is Wanjohi Wambugu. I work on a farm in central Kenya, specifically in the Kiambu district. My district exports tea and coffee. I get paid  0.7 (US) dollars per kilogram that we harvest. Since we often encounter droughts, planting and harvesting our tea leaves is very difficult and unreliable. We start work very early in the morning, and if the weather is poor, we just pray the lightning doesn't strike near us. Tea pickers live in very thin houses that can barely house an entire family, so this forces us to move to rural areas farther away from our crops. I barely make enough money to clothe my family and if I don't start making more money, they might have to move away because I cannot afford for them to live with me.  This is the only job I know how to do, but I hope I start getting paid more for the tea and coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment