Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Graciela Rodriguez: Mexico Foxconn Worker


Hello, my name is Graciela Rodriguez, and I am from San Jeronimo, Chihuahua.  My typical day consists of waking up, making tortillas for local residents as I have since I was 14, going to work for 9 hours and coming home to be a mother to my 4 children (Monk 2010).  I have worked at Foxconn for over two years now.  I was forced to get a second job because my husband was shot and killed two years ago and I now have to take care of my family on my own. Although a factory worker doesn’t get great pay, I don’t want to be involved in any illegal business, and Foxconn was willing to hire me the day I interviewed because of their need for more people.  I began just as the suicides in China were becoming prominent in the news, but I needed the job, and it wasn’t nearly as bad as the news claimed it was in China.  Things aren’t perfect, and I often need my neighbor to watch my children when I am forced to work late.  I wish I could make as good of money as my husband used to, but I am a woman, which means I only make 84% of what he did (Monk, 2010).  I am doing the best I can for now and will be praying I get a raise soon.


If you would like to help women like Graciela, working women in poverty, you can visit http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/mexican-women-in-poverty/ which educates women in Mexico on health and shows them the opportunities they can have to create a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment