Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tian Yu: China Foxconn worker


Hi, my name is Tian Yu.  I am seventeen and I used to work at Foxconn in Longhua, Shenzhen.  I began working three years ago to support my family when my mother was diagnosed with cancer.  The monthly minimum wage when I began was 1,000 Chinese Yuen, but I was only paid 900 (US 142.85) because I am a minor (Rulliat, 2007). The pay was not exactly what we needed, but it is what I could find.  Soon after I began working at Foxconn, Apple, Inc. came out with the iPad.  I had already been assembling the iPhone for about six months, and was getting pretty fast at it, so I expected this to be somewhat simple.  The demand for the product was so great that my hours were increased by 5 hours per week, with little extra pay. (Rulliat, 2007) We got even less time for lunch and were cut down to two bathroom breaks during any 6 hour period.  This lasted for nearly two months, and by this time, my mother was getting better.  It was no longer necessary for me to work, but I was contractually bound into working with them for two full years. Every day, my boss would tell me to “Work faster…More products!!” I could no longer take this pressure in these horrible conditions! I knew about the suicides taking place and felt that was my only way out of this horrible place.  I failed in my attempt, and am now paralyzed from the waist down, but I don’t regret what I did because it got me out of Foxconn.  Unfortunately, my little sister is now going to have to work sooner than we thought she would because I cannot and my mother is sick again.  I feel bad for what I did to my family, but could not stand working there another day for that small amount of pay.  I realize people use technology for almost everything, but can’t I wish people didn't need it so much so my family and I don't have to work like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment